Monday, August 7, 2017

My banner will be clear

My Banner Is Clear

http://www.nysba.org/uploadedImages/NYSBA/Pro_Bono_Information_for_Attorneys/Images/RotatingSlinder690x315_VeteransPersonFlagSunset.jpg?n=2830

Years ago, I heard this read in a sermon. My heart leapt within in me at the wording, the truth, the faith, the confidence, and I have been captivated by it ever since. Oh, how I wish I knew the story behind it...
The inspiring commitment of a young African
pastor from Zimbabwe
I am part of the fellowship of the unashamed. I have Holy Spirit power, my die has been cast. I have stepped over the line. The decision has been made. I'm a disciple of Jesus. I won't look back, let up, slow down, back away, or be still.
My past is redeemed, my present makes sense, my future is secure. I'm finished and done with low living, sight walking, small planning, smooth knees, colorless dreams, tamed visions, worldly talking, cheap giving, and dwarfed goals.
I no longer need pre-eminence, prosperity, position, promotions, plaudits, or popularity. I don't have to be right, first, tops, recognized, or rewarded. I now live by faith, lean on His presence, walk by patience, am uplifted by prayer, and labor by power.
My face is set, my gait is fast, my goal is heaven, my road is narrow, my way is rough, my companions are few, my Guide is reliable, and my mission is clear. I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away, turned back, deluded, or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of the adversary, negotiate at the table of the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity, or meander in the maze of mediocrity. I won't give up, shut up, let up, until I have stayed up, stored up, prayed up, preached up for the cause of Christ.
I am a disciple of Jesus. I must go till He comes, give till I drop, preach till all know, and work till He stops me. And when He comes for His own, He will have no problem recognizing me - my banner will be clear.


May this be my battle cry. 

Yesterday, our youth group had a "back to school" fellowship and then a worship service at our cabin (in the woods), commissioning them into their mission field of the school world. That morning, the pastor preached from Acts 7 about the life of Stephen. I couldn't help but ponder the incredible faith and courage of Stephen. He lived a life so honoring to God that others commented and scripture records that he was known as a man "full of faith". He was so passionate about the gospel and so full of faith that when he was placed in front of the council, everyone "saw his face as it had been the face of an angel." The pastor challenged us to live a life where we constantly share the gospel with others. He said something most striking: if every believer could get a 5 second glimpse into hell to see what torment, anguish, and pain exists there for all eternity, we would not be able to keep silent. If you knew, for a fact, what was waiting for someone after death (and you knew just how terrible it was), could you pass them by without saying something? 
And......yet we do. Daily. (And I'm preaching to myself here, too).

As I begin this new chapter of my life in Hungary, I know I will have the chance to impact people that other believers might not. Your oikos ("home" or "circle of influence") is different then mine. 
Make the most of it. Don't let up. Make sure that your banner will be clear.

  

All the way my Savior leads me;
  What have I to ask beside?
Can I doubt His tender mercy,
  Who through life has been my Guide?
Heav’nly peace, divinest comfort,
  Here by faith in Him to dwell!
For I know, whate’er befall me,
  Jesus doeth all things well,
For I know, whate’er befall me,
  Jesus doeth all things well.

All the way my Savior leads me,
  Cheers each winding path I tread,
Gives me grace for every trial,
  Feeds me with the living bread.
Though my weary steps may falter,
  And my soul athirst may be,
Gushing from the Rock before me,
  Lo! a spring of joy I see,
Gushing from the Rock before me,
  Lo! a spring of joy I see.

All the way my Savior leads me;
  Oh, the fullness of His grace!
Perfect rest to me is promised
  In my Father’s blest embrace.
When my spirit, clothed immortal,
  Wings its flight to realms of day,
This my song through endless ages:
  Jesus led me all the way,
This my song through endless ages:
  Jesus led me all the way. 

Written by Fanny J. Crosby (see link for story) - blinded at the age of 6 weeks because of a human mistake - lived a life lead by the Father and full of faith 


"I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help.
My help cometh from the Lord, which made heaven and earth.

He will not suffer thy foot to be moved: he that keepeth thee will not slumber.

Behold, he that keepeth Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep.

The Lord is thy keeper: the Lord is thy shade upon thy right hand.

The sun shall not smite thee by day, nor the moon by night.

The Lord shall preserve thee from all evil: he shall preserve thy soul.

The Lord shall preserve thy going out and thy coming in from this time forth, and even for evermore."
Psalm 121

"I will love thee, O Lord, my strength. The Lord is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower." 
Psalm 18:1-2
https://www.salzburg.info/website/var/tmp/image-thumbnails/0/1210/thumb__slider-main/die-festung-mit-verschneiten-bergen-im-hintergrund_7967.jpeg
Salzburg Fortress - when I (eventually) travel to Salzburg, Austria, I will definitely be visiting this!
http://budnews.hu/container/news/z19budapalace_1426685616.jpg
Buda Castle in the Caste District of Budapest is also (very much so) on my list! Note: I will never have a picture this good!

No comments:

Post a Comment